Guide to Sponsorships!
You see people with patches, they look cool! You hear about getting discounted products and a few other perks. That’s great, but being sponsored can also open so many doors for you IF you work it right.
To start, being sponsored instantly gives you more credibility when you are wearing a patch, products, etc. which can open the door to have conversations with people of all ages and experience levels who are interested in the same companies or industries that you are. This connection gives you the opportunity to talk to all kinds of people who can impact your future. For example:
- You are high school kid sponsored by Fast Back Ropes. You attend a rodeo where you see fellow endorsee and professional team roper, Brock Hansen, wearing a patch on his shirt. You instantly have something in common with him that you both can talk about. Since you have something in common, you walk up, start a conversation about what kind of Fast Back rope he uses and ask him to demonstrate on the dummy. Then you ask him if you can swing it which could lead to a little tip -> a short lesson on the dummy -> a phone number -> a partner at a roping -> an internship in college -> a job with Brock himself or a connection through him.
You can create a portfolio to use for your resume to use when applying for additional sponsors, scholarships, internships and jobs. This is especially helpful if you are interested in marketing, advertising or public relations. Remember, as an endorsee, you are a walking billboard, constantly advertising. To create a portfolio you can:
- Save the content you create (photos, videos, memes, short stories, etc.) in a file/folder
- Track of statics on the impressions and engagement on your social media and posts pertaining to specific products
- Keep tabs on the number of people you come into contact with while traveling and interacting with the public
- Document products you’ve used, lessons you’ve learned, places you’ve traveled and anything else you could share with the company and the public
Companies sponsor you because they believe in your abilities. They know you are hardworking and want to succeed. Having that support should give you confidence, and we all need confidence to succeed. These companies are pulling for you and want you to do well. That confidence can transfer to all parts of your life and future if you let it.
Now, that you know a few of the things being sponsored can do for you, we’ve created a guide to help you get sponsored, stay sponsored and create that portfolio that will open all kinds of doors for you. Use the Sponsorship Calendar to give you ideas. Do them all or only do a few. Not only will this calendar help the companies you sponsor, but it will help you build your character, confidence and credibility.
Click to download the Sponsorship Chart!